Want to start a blog but have $0 to spare? When the recent down turnings of the economy, more and more people are turning to blogging as a way to make some spare change. Although blogging isn’t a get rich quick method, it is a great source for additional income. You can easily start up a blog, market it, and gain significant traffic before ever having to pay for hosting or your own domain–a huge plus to those who can’t afford to start a new website.
Steps we will take in this article
- Discover what a blog is.
- Discuss why you should start a blog.
- Learn how to start a blog for free.
- Uncover how to write blog copywrite.
- Find ways to market your blog for free.
What is a blog?Blog is short for weblog. A web log is an online journal or newsletter which is updated frequently and allows visitors to comment on the articles. This website is a blog, for example.
Why you should start a blog
- It’s a great way to gain small business exposure.
- Extra income.
- Blow some free time.
- Keep a personal diary to tell the world about your adventures.
How to start a blog for free
- Sign up for Blogspot.com. It has limited functionality, but it is great for those just starting out. Plus, it allows you to setup Google ads.
- Choose an appropriate name for your blog. This should be something short and easy to remember. Throw out anything longer than three words.
- Choose a nice looking theme. You can create your own later or find a ree one.
- Customize the layout by going to layout/page elements.
- Click ‘Edit’ in the Blog Posts area. Select ‘Show Email Post Links’ and ‘Show Ads Between Posts’. You will have to sign up for AdSense first.
- Click ‘Add a Gadget’. Find the Gadget titled ‘Subscription Links’ and click the plus button. Press save.
- Press the orange ‘Save’ button at the top.
How to write blog copywriteNow that you are signed up for blogger and have your template, you can begin posting. Here are a few articles to help you on your way to good blog copywriting:
- Be Productive: Write Ahead OR Emergency Articles
- Be Productive: Take Notes
- Be Productive: Set Work Hours
- Blogging Tip: Be Yourself
- How to Write Great Content and Keep Visitors Interested
Find ways to market your blog for freeThere are many opportunities for blogs to market themselves for free.
- Submit your blog to blog directories and regular directories.
- Use delicious.
- Submit your posts to BloggingZoom.
- Create widgets for Google, Facebook, and BeBo. Be sure to include a link back to your blog.
- Put a link to your blog on all your social profiles (Facebook, MySpace).
- Join Twitter and converse.
- Hold contests (May or may not be free, depending on your talents).
- Create a web design and submit it to galleries.
- Write articles and submit them to article directories.
- Write guest posts.
Moving to a new host
- It is easier to market a domain than a blogspot blog to clients. e.g. it is easier to remember and more trust worthy.
- You have the freedom to use the advertising you want.
- There are better blog platforms out there.
- You will lose some readers.
- You will have to start your branding over.
Staying with Blogspot
- You know the platform.
- You keep all links and marketing efforts.